Preparation from India
The below may not be complete list, please let us know your experience, to make it better. Many of the items are relevant to people going on Work permit only.
- Go through this website :)
- Get friends in the city you are going to. Take help from mentor on this website (A free service)
Know about Air travel baggage allowance (check in baggage :1 piece of max 20 Kg.+ hand baggage : 6 Kg). Plan accordingly what to carry and what not.
Open bank account for your parents, if they don't have.
Open NRI account for yourself.Convert your Resident savings Bank account to NRO account.
- German Language : At least basic words
- Cooking : will help you a lot if you can not find food
- Cooking utensils : Most of the things will be available in Germany with your furnished apartment but there are few Indian thing which may not be available or it make be problematic initially to buy one.
Clothing: Check the weather. If it is winter, take appropriate clothing with you. Also plan to buy from there since clothing over there would be of better quality.
- Pressure cooker : Don't for forget it's whistle. :) .
- Frying Pan
- Tweezer (Chimta)
- Tea filter (Chalni)
- Masala (For first few days)
- Ghee (your favorite brand :)).
Medicines : First aid and other few medicines which you think are important
Electrical Appliance: Please note that although the electrical voltage is same as India, the electrical plugs are different and you will need adapter to fit your electrical device into German plugs.
- Passport with valid Visa
- Hotel booking and address : Book a service apartment with kitchen if you plan to cook yourself.
- Air Ticket
- Health Insurance
- International Driving License (if applicable)
- Your client address
- Forex with Euro coins of 50 Cents and 1 EURO (If you can manage, useful for airport transit to use trolley)
Copy of Employment Contract
- Copy of Educational Degree Certificates
- Original Marriage certificate
- Original Birth certificates of Children
All documents to be translated to English if
they are in Vernacular language
Things to do as you enter in Germany
There are few things which must be done at arrival in Germany (For work):
- Plan your local conveyance. This is the time when you need to travel more and would like to avoid cost on travel. Check about weekly, monthly ticket.
- Find apartment
Register residence address (Anmendung)
Residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis)
Open Bank account
- Inform your gas/electricity agency. Your landlord will help you here.
Permanent work permit (Arbeitsgenehmigung)
Inform your employer about all above, they might request for above anyway
Ensure that you get social security card. Check your salary slip.
Transfer money to India (See link why you should do from first month itself if you are supporting dependents in India)
Learn German (must know at least below)
- Days of week
- How to get help and such other things
Additional things if applicable
- Apply for KinderGeld (if you have kids)
- Apply for ElternGeld (if you are eligible)
- Get telephone/internet connection
Following is list of Local municipal office /Rathaus/KVR offices in various cities
|Berlin ||Landeseinwohneramt Berlin, Abteilung Ausländerangelegenheiten, Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24, 13353 Berlin ||Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 07:30 - 13:00, Wednesday: closed, Friday: 07:30 - 12:00 (A queuing system is in operation. Doors open at 7:00 - take a ticket & wait for your number to appear on the LED) ||Berlin site || |
|Munich ||Kreisverwaltungsreferat, Ruppertstr. 19, 80466 München, Tel. (089) 233-96000 ||Monday, Wed, Thu 8 am - 12 am, Tuesday - 8 to 12 and 2pm to 6.30pm. Friday - 7 am to 12 pm ||Download forms ||The place you must know. Please take note that there are no VISA services on Wednesdays. |
Showing 2 items