German National Visa

Spouse Visa & Family Reunion

Details of the documents and forms

Spouse visa is issued under rule § 30 Abs. Complete rules about Spouse visa in all scenarios are given at following link:

English translation of this rule

The procedure to apply for family reunion visa (for spouse and children) is explained at following link of German consulate:

German language requirement for family reunion visa

Since Germany has amended its law relating to foreigners in 2007, visa applicants are required to present evidence of basic knowledge of the German language in the event of family reunion of spouses.

Basic knowledge of the German language is knowledge of the German language at “Competence level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for languages” This includes you being able to understand and use common, everyday expressions and very simple sentences (e.g. asking for directions, shopping, etc). You should be able to introduce yourself and others and ask and answer questions about personal details such as where you live or what people you know. Of course, the person you are talking to must speak clearly and be prepared to help. You should also have basic German writing skills, e.g. you should be able to enter your name, address, nationality, etc. on forms.

Please note that the German Consulate ONLY accepts German language certificates issued by language institutes fulfilling ALTE-Standard, i.e. Goethe Insitute (Max Mueller Bhavan) or Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch (ÖSD).

The following applicants are exempted from this requirement:

    1. Spouses of refugees, guest scientists, visiting scholars and highly qualified specialists holding an unlimited residence permit according to § 19 AufenthG (“Niederlassungserlaubnis”). This exemption is only applicable, if the marriage took place before the employed spouse (husband or wife) was granted a residence permit in Germany.

    2. Spouses of citizens of the European Union, Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, Republic of Korea, New Zealand and USA. Please be advised that spouses of German Citizens are not exempted.

    3. Spouses of citizens who work for an internationally operating company and are going to live in Germany on a temporary basis only (upto 5 years). It is supposed that these couples have a minor need for integration into German society due to their temporary stay in Germany.

    4. Spouses who are physically or mentally handicapped or a suffering from any other mental disease or handicap.

    5. Spouses holding an academic degree of a well known, internationally recognized university themselves (minimum Master Degree) which enables the applicant to qualified work in Germany and therefore helps to integrate in Germany. The decision will be taken by the Aliens Authorities and the Consulate General together taking into account the cirumstances of the application (e.g. subject of the degree, circumstances at the future place of residence in Germany).

See the attached document and below link for more details.

Student Visa Vs Dependent Visa

Query: My spouse is working in Germany and I am planning to go there with a Spouse visa, I would like to know if there is reservation for studying. Am I allowed to do my masters with spouse visa or do I need to go for a student visa. Please advice.


It is possible to go with any type of Visa i.e. Student visa or Dependent Visa. But let's discuss pros and cons of each option and decide yourself which option suits you better.

Advantages of Student Visa Vs Dependent Visa:

    1. Practically if student spouse can get/has already plan or confirmation for study. It will be much easier to get study visa directly

    2. If the working spouse has finished his/work, student spouse is in middle of his/her studies then working spouse can become dependent and have work rights too ( there are some strings attached to it)

    3. As a student one is allowed to work 20 hours per week. A dependent is not allowed to do so. (Although sometime authorities may allow also on case to case basis!!)

    4. Student visa can get the other facilities like transport etc.

Disadvantages of Student Visa Vs Dependent Visa:

    1. Student spouse has to leave the country after his/her study (this is suggested by the authorities)! Although it is also possible to get work permit after completion of study.

Learning German language in Germany

Languages courses are available in Germany at a nominal fee. more details

The cost of the integration course

One lesson on the course costs 2.35 euros. As a rule, attendees pay one euro for each lesson. The balance of 1.35 euros is paid by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.

On a course comprising 645 lessons, the cost to attendees will be 645 euros per integration course. In certain circumstances, attendees will be exempted by the Federal Office from making a financial contribution. Ethnic German repatriates can in principal attend one whole integration course free of charge. The one-off attendance at the final test is free of charge.

Venue of Integration course:

Find the location based on your area from below link:

Spouse Visa MigrationOfficeGermany.pdf